Monday 6 September 2010

The Girl With the Replaceable Head

The Girl With the Replaceable Head (aka Sylvia) first came to my attention in 2002, when she/they released a near-perfect ep on the Bus Stop Label (which was in something of a rich vein of form at the time, I seem to recall) called 'Ride My Star'. "Three depressingly sublime songs to either slit your wrist to/fall in love with depending on your mood" reads my yellowing press release. It still sounds right my up street.

Indeed, I think my review at the time read: "As if Harper Lee were female fronted, but with the added twang of some country and western strumming."

Anyway, I mention this because I just came across Sylvia's myspace page, and there's what must be a relatively new song up there. So, Sylvia, if by the smallest chance you read this, are you still making music or what?

Download 'Ride My Star' here.

1 comment:

Rhod Davies said...

Sylvia and Taffy have recorded an album 'Death in Gateshead' (only available on vinyl). Its on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Gateshead-VINYL-Girl-Replaceable/dp/B003F0WSOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294094812&sr=1-1

but you could probably get it direct from them via the myspace site at a cheaper price.
There's also a 'xmas' CD single availalbe at Reflex records

http://www.reflexcd.co.uk/results.asp?list=list&artist=The%20Girl%20With%20The%20Replaceable%20Head

They've been doing some gigs aound the North East in the last few months.