Sunday 22 August 2010

Warning: contains mild tweeness

Now, the last thing I'd like to labelled is twee, but since having a kid I've been a regular viewer of CBeebies. There's not a lot you can't tell me there days about Third and Bird, Zoo Lane, The Summer Song and Tommy Zoom. These programmes usually go on in times of extreme weakness like when I need a fag or am about to go mental from being forced to dance junior Metcalf's toy keybaord.

However, giving my son square eyes has it advantages, because these people writing the theme tunes for CBeebies programmes should really be the next indiepop heroes.

Take, for example, the Spanish pop of Charlie and Lola (itself a pretty ace band name):



Or perhaps, like me, you can just hear A Smile and a Ribbon covering the 3rd & Bird theme:



But my favourite at the moment is 64 Zoo Lane, the tune to could easily be an early Belle and Sebastian or Pines song.



Before anyone calls me twee, I'd like to remind you that I have been, more than once, involved in manual labour for a living and have owned a dog bigger than a lady's handbag. I do, however, like cats.

I'll leave you with the masterpiece: 'Summer Song'.



Normal service will resume when I've come into contact with Real Life at work this week.

2 comments:

Pete Green said...

Oliver loves that summer song. He can put me in front of it and it'll completely shut me up and stop me crying straight away.

Artog said...

Hello,

This is a pretty rich vein. It's the easiest thing in the world to say that kid's tv these days isn't as good as Bagpuss and the Clangers etc. and it isn't, but there are some good tunes out there.

I'm utterly convinced the Fifi and the Flowertots song Would You Like Some Lemonade is St Etienne. And I'd quite happily pay to own those numbers songs that Sid and Andy do.